The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) has sought an Interpol Red Notice against former Army Chief General (retd) Aziz Ahmed in a crimes against humanity case over the killings during the Hefazat-e-Islam rally at Shapla Chattar in Motijheel, Dhaka, in 2013 and the subsequent shootings in Siddhirganj, Narayanganj.
Chief Prosecutor Aminul Islam confirmed the matter to journalists at the tribunal on Tuesday, saying an initiative had been taken for the first time in the case to bring a fugitive accused back to the country through Interpol.
“We have learnt that Aziz Ahmed has fled to the Middle East or another country. We believe we will be able to bring him back through Interpol and have him face trial,” he said.
The chief prosecutor also said initiatives would be taken in phases to bring back other fugitives accused in the case from abroad.
In a letter signed by the Chief Prosecutor, the relevant authorities were requested to take necessary steps to issue a Red Notice against Aziz in accordance with the regulations of the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).
The letter also requested that the ICT prosecution be informed of the progress of the matter and, if necessary, any further developments.
The letter was sent to the Inspector General of Police and the Additional Inspector General leading the Interpol National Central Bureau (NCB) at Bangladesh Police Headquarters.
According to the case details, the application for an Interpol Red Notice against former army chief and then Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) Director General Gen Aziz Ahmed was made in a case filed over crimes against humanity allegedly committed during the operation at the Hefazat-e-Islam rally at Shapla Chattar in Motijheel on May 5, 2013, and the shootings in Siddhirganj, Narayanganj, the following day.
Earlier, on July 27, the International Crimes Tribunal took cognisance of the formal charges brought against 41 people, including ousted former prime minister and fugitive convict Sheikh Hasina, over the killings during the rally.
At the same time, the tribunal issued arrest warrants against the fugitive accused in the case and ordered that accused arrested in other cases be produced before the tribunal.
Apart from Sheikh Hasina, the other accused in the case include then Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir, then State Minister for Home Affairs Advocate Shamsul Haque Tuku, then Information Minister and Jasad President Hasanul Haq Inu, Awami League Presidium Member Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, then Food Minister Abdur Razzaque, and banned Awami League Joint General Secretary Mahbubul Alam Hanif.
The list of accused also includes then Information Minister Hasan Mahmud, Awami League Joint General Secretary AFM Bahauddin Nasim, former minister Abdul Latif Siddique, former State Minister Advocate Mrinal Kanti Das, then Awami League Joint General Secretary Jahangir Kabir Nanak, former Minister Dipu Moni, former Minister Mofazzel Hossain Chowdhury Maya, then Jubo League Chairman Omar Faruk Chowdhury, former Member of Parliament Salahuddin Mahmud, and Gonojagoron Moncho Convener and Spokesperson Imran H Sarkar.
Among the journalists accused are Shahriar Kabir, president of Ekattorer Ghatak Dalal Nirmul Committee; Mozammel Haque Babu, former managing director of Ekattor Media Limited; and former chief reporter Farzana Rupa.