FIFA have confirmed the departure of chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, just weeks after he launched a public attack on president Gianni Infantino over now-abandoned plans to sell a stake in the World Cup to private investors, in what widely reported accounts described as a dismissal.
A FIFA spokesperson confirmed the split in a statement on Monday night. "FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter."
The fallout traces back to late July, when Lamour spoke to the Associated Press to voice concern over FIFA's Forward Enterprise plan, which would have seen the governing body sell around a fifth of a newly created commercial entity, covering events including the World Cup and Club World Cup, to a group of private investors.
Lamour alleged that FIFA staff had been misled by Infantino over the implications of the proposal, describing it as the vision of a single individual rather than a collective decision.
"The time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions," he said.
He was equally direct about the toll the leadership culture at FIFA's Zurich headquarters had taken.
"Our mission, the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary FIFA employees, is to serve football. A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite."
Lamour acknowledged at the time that his comments could cost him his job, but said he stood by them regardless.
"If that means I lose my job, then so be it, I will understand and respect that decision, at least I'll sleep well tonight."
The proposed investment deal collapsed after fierce opposition from several of football's governing bodies.
UEFA led the resistance, warning its member nations could boycott the 2030 World Cup if the plan went ahead, while the English, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish and Scottish federations also withdrew their support for Infantino continuing as president.
The Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF also opposed the plan, though some CONCACAF members, including 2026 co-hosts Mexico, backed Infantino throughout.
The confederations representing Africa, South America and Oceania have continued to support his leadership ahead of FIFA's presidential election next March.
Lamour had worked alongside Infantino previously at UEFA, joining the European body in 2007 and rising to deputy general secretary before following him to FIFA in November 2024, where he was credited with overseeing complex stakeholder relationships and several major infrastructure projects during his tenure.
His exit makes him the second senior FIFA figure to depart in the wake of the controversy, following the earlier resignation of Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino.
FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom confirmed the departure to staff in an internal memo on Monday.
"Following recent discussions, FIFA and our chief operating officer, Kevin Lamour, have agreed to part ways," Grafstrom wrote.
"This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally. I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future."