Former Brazil left-back Roberto Carlos. Photo: X
Football

Brazil football icon Roberto Carlos converts to Islam, claims Turkish MP

Sports Desk

Brazilian football legend Roberto Carlos has reportedly converted to Islam, according to Turkish lawmaker Ali Sahin who posted it on his official X account on Tuesday, though the former defender has not personally confirmed the claim.

Sahin said he learned of the conversion during a meeting with representatives of Brazil's Muslim community in Sao Paulo, held at the Islamic Charitable Youth League.

The MP said Sheikh Jihad Hammadeh, a senior figure at Brazil's National Association of Islamic Jurists, told him Carlos had been in contact with him for some time.

According to Hammadeh's account, Carlos visited him roughly four weeks ago and recited the shahada, the Islamic declaration of faith, formally embracing the religion.

Sahin shared the news on social media, congratulating Carlos and wishing him and his family peace, health and blessings.

The report has coincided with the circulation of wedding photos showing Carlos marrying Suhaila Ettahiri, a Spanish-based, Moroccan-born football agent, in a ceremony featuring Islamic elements.

Details of the wedding's date and location have not been disclosed.

Carlos, 53, won two World Cups with Brazil and starred for Real Madrid before a stint at Fenerbahce. He remains regarded as one of the greatest left-backs in the game's history.

Nine Bangladeshis, including child, killed in Kolkata hotel fire

New NHRC Bill expands the Commission while narrowing its reach

A pink bus through Dhaka’s grey reality

‘My only crime was opposing the fascist government’: JCD leader recounts torture in Aynaghar

Dhaka eyes equally beneficial economic partnership with New Delhi: Shama Obaed