Andoni Iraola gives instructions during Liverpool’s pre-season friendly against Como. Photo: Reuters
Football

Liverpool can compete despite need for more signings, says Iraola

Reuters

Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola said on Friday the club still needed reinforcements out wide before the transfer window closes, but backed his squad to be competitive from the start of the season.

Liverpool open their Premier League campaign at Newcastle United on Sunday after a close season in which they brought in centre back Jeremy Jacquet and forward Victor Munoz, while defender Ronald Araujo joined on loan.

They have lost, however, talisman Mohamed Salah, defenders Andy Robertson and Ibrahima Konate, while midfielder Curtis Jones is also expected to depart. Forward Hugo Ekitike is among several players sidelined by injury.

The club have been linked with Paris St Germain forward Bradley Barcola and Brighton & Hove Albion winger Yankuba Minteh as they continue to reshape the squad.

"Some situations are clear - on the wing, we need specific players for that. Other positions, we have to be open-minded to situations that can improve our team," Iraola told reporters.

"I wanted the players for the first day of pre-season, with every position covered and top-level players throughout.

"But you understand how the competition works, that the market is open when you start the season...

"You have seen the very good players that we have right now in the building, so we can be competitive from the beginning."

The 44-year-old Spaniard takes over from Arne Slot, whose title-winning debut season after succeeding Juergen Klopp in 2024 was followed by a disappointing fifth-placed finish last term.

Liverpool ended the campaign 25 points behind champions Arsenal despite spending around £400 million ($545.52 million) on new signings.

"I feel excited," Iraola said. "I can feel it even in the atmosphere when we train with the players, you feel like this week is a little bit different..."

RETURN OF ISAK

Sunday's match will also mark Alexander Isak's first return to St James' Park since completing a British record £125-million move from Newcastle to Liverpool after a prolonged transfer saga last year.

The 26-year-old Sweden international endured an injury-disrupted debut season at Liverpool, scoring four goals and providing one assist in 22 appearances after joining from Newcastle, where he had been frozen out of the first-team squad while awaiting his move to Merseyside.

Alexander Isak reacts during Liverpool’s pre-season friendly against Como at Anfield.

"It's always special when you play against your old team in their stadium," Iraola said.

"I think he is in a very good place. He has been training every day and adding more and more minutes with each friendly game.

"I think he had a very good World Cup in terms of availability and fitness levels, and I want to keep him there for as long as we can. We know his level and, if we can keep him there, he will score goals and give us a lot."

Newcastle will also begin a new chapter under German coach Matthias Jaissle following the departure of Eddie Howe.

Mirza Fakhrul sworn in as Bangladesh's 23rd President

Is Tarique Rahman’s Delhi trip taking place next week?

Six new ministers and state ministers sworn in

Comrades at the trough

How Bangladesh have Australia's ice-cool captain second-guessing