Venus Williams of the US returns during her doubles match at the Cincinnati Open. Photo: Reuters
Sports

Venus Williams receives US Open wildcard

Reuters

Two-time U.S. Open singles champion Venus Williams has received a wildcard entry ​into this year's tournament, organisers said on ‌Tuesday.

Seven-time Grand Slam winner Williams, 46, was eliminated in the first round at Flushing Meadows ​last year after falling to Czech ​Karolina Muchova.

She and sister Serena also returned ⁠to doubles action for the first ​time since 2022 on Monday, suffering an ​opening round defeat at the Cincinnati Open.

Sloane Stephens, the 2017 U.S. Open winner, was also among those ​granted a wildcard on Monday. The ​33-year-old is trying to make a comeback after a ‌foot ⁠injury derailed her 2025 season.

Organisers said one women's singles wildcard spot is still to be announced.

On the men's side, Frenchman Gael ​Monfils was ​among those ⁠who got a wildcard into the main draw earlier this ​month. The former world number six ​previously ⁠announced that he would retire at the end of the season.

Monfils and spouse Elina ⁠Svitolina ​were also given wildcards ​into the U.S. Open mixed doubles tournament on Monday.

New NHRC Bill expands the Commission while narrowing its reach

Draft disappearance law may leave security officers vulnerable, rights experts warn

Don’t forget past, but don’t be stuck in it - move on: Dinesh Trivedi

180 days of the govt: Health reform needs more than expansion

Bangladesh cricket’s death certificate shredded again