King Harald of Norway attends a royal engagement alongside Crown Prince Haakon. BSS
World

Norway king to remain in hospital, cancels engagements

BSS

Norway’s 89-year-old King Harald, who has been hospitalised since Monday with complications from a blood disorder, has cancelled his royal engagements in early September, the palace said on Friday.

Europe’s oldest reigning monarch is being treated for haemolytic anaemia, a condition caused by the abnormal destruction of red blood cells that can lead to fatigue, paleness and shortness of breath.

He was admitted to hospital on Monday due to fluid retention caused by the cortisone treatment he is receiving and was placed on sick leave for two weeks.

“His Majesty the King will remain at Oslo University Hospital for further treatment,” the palace said on Friday.

It said he had cancelled his visit to the central region of Trondelag, scheduled for September 1 and 2, after the end of his previously announced sick leave.

Harald, who ascended the Norwegian throne in 1991, has experienced multiple health problems in recent years but has repeatedly ruled out abdicating.

Several members of his family, including his son Crown Prince Haakon, who is serving as regent in Harald’s absence, have visited him in hospital.

Is Tarique Rahman’s Delhi trip taking place next week?

Comrades at the trough

Bills meant to shield security forces could ultimately endanger them, says Nabila Idris

Cabinet expansion: Four new faces likely to take oath this evening

Bangladesh hit by at least 68 data breaches since 2023, report finds