Sheikh Hasina’s status unknown, but she can be brought back through legal process: Chief Prosecutor
The government does not have specific information about the status under which former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is staying in India, Chief Prosecutor of the International Crimes Tribunal Mohammad Aminul Islam said Monday.
However, Hasina, who has been convicted by the tribunal, can be brought back to Bangladesh through existing legal procedures, he said.
Aminul made the remarks while responding to journalists at the International Crimes Tribunal premises on August 17.
He said Hasina is a convicted accused and the government has formally sent an extradition request to India to bring her back and execute the verdict.
All necessary legal steps are being taken under the existing extradition treaty between Bangladesh and India, he added.
Responding to an Indian media report suggesting that Indian court approval may be required to send Hasina back, Aminul said her legal status in India remained unclear.
“The report does not specify whether Sheikh Hasina is there under political asylum or any other special arrangement,” he said.
“Without clear information, it would not be appropriate to comment based on that report.”
He said the Bangladesh government still had no official information about Hasina’s current status in India.
It was therefore unclear in what legal context the issue of Indian court approval had been raised, he added.
Asked about comparisons with BNP leader Salahuddin Ahmed’s case in India, Aminul said the two cases were different.
He said Salahuddin was allegedly abducted from Bangladesh and taken to India in 2015.
Salahuddin was subsequently charged with illegally entering India in Shillong before being acquitted by an Indian court and returning to Bangladesh.
Aminul said the legal and political circumstances of that case were therefore different from Hasina’s.
Separately, the chief prosecutor said strong evidence had been presented before the tribunal against seven key accused, including Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader, over the suppression of the July-August 2024 uprising and alleged mass killings.
“Due to the role and directives of the then government in suppressing the movement, around 1,400 people were killed and more than 30,000 were left disabled,” he said.
“The accused cannot escape responsibility for these horrific crimes.”
He expressed hope that the tribunal would impose the maximum punishment through due legal process.
