Dhanmondi 32 vandalism: Case petition against Yunus, Asif Nazrul, 25 others dismissed
A Dhaka court on Thursday dismissed a case petition against former interim government chief adviser Dr Muhammad Yunus, former law adviser Dr Asif Nazrul and 25 others over alleged vandalism and arson at the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Memorial Museum at Dhanmondi 32 on February 5, 2025.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Jewel Rana passed the order around 3pm after reviewing the case documents.
Additional Public Prosecutor Shamsud Doha Sumon told Daily Waadaa that the court dismissed the petition under Section 203 of the Code of Criminal Procedure after reviewing the case documents.
Tamanna Chowdhury Priyanka had filed the case petition with the court. The court earlier recorded her statement and kept the matter pending for its order.
The complainant’s lawyer, AKM Sharif Uddin, confirmed the matter.
The other accused include former interim government adviser for environment and disaster management Dr Rizwana Hasan, former press secretary Shafiqul Alam, former home adviser Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury, Cultural Affairs Adviser Mostofa Sarwar Farooki, National Citizen Party (NCP) Convener Nahid Islam, NCP spokesperson Asif Mahmud Sajeeb Bhuiyan and former interim government adviser Mahfuj Alam along with others.
According to the petition, the accused allegedly directly supported, instigated or otherwise assisted a group of other accused and 3,000 to 5,000 unidentified people in unlawfully assembling and attacking the residence at Dhanmondi 32 associated with Sheikh Mujib.
The petition alleges that the attackers were armed with sticks, hammers, inflammable substances and other dangerous weapons. At around 10pm, they allegedly entered the building, vandalised it and set it on fire, causing extensive damage to and looting historical artefacts, documents, Liberation War records, documentaries, books and other valuables.
The petition further alleges that the attackers brought two bulldozers, excavators, hammers and other heavy machinery and began demolishing the building throughout the night. It said the building was demolished by around 5pm the following day.
It also alleges that several of the accused went live on YouTube and Facebook to instigate and support the vandalism, arson and looting of important documents and papers from the building. Some of them allegedly provided financial assistance.
The petition further alleged that although the attack had been announced in advance, the accused responsible for protecting the building took no steps to prevent the vandalism and arson.

