Two more Bangladeshis identified among those killed in Kolkata hotel fire
AI generated summary, newsroom reviewed
Seven Bangladeshi nationals were killed in the fire that broke out at a hotel in Kolkata, India early Wednesday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) said on Thursday.
The fire broke out at a hotel on Free School Street near New Market, one of Kolkata’s busiest and most densely populated areas.
On Wednesday, the ministry confirmed five deaths citing local authorities.
“According to local authorities, nine people have so far died in the fire. Police have confirmed the identities of five of them as Bangladeshi nationals,” the ministry said in a media release.
Four of the Bangladeshi victims were members of the same family, it said, adding that local authorities have yet to confirm the identities of the remaining victims.
Meanwhile, six Bangladeshi nationals injured in the fire have been released from hospital after receiving primary treatment.
State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shama Obaed Islam on Wednesday said the government will bring back the bodies of five Bangladeshi nationals killed in a hotel fire in Kolkata as soon as possible after completion of the identification and other necessary formalities.
UNB Satkhira correspondent reports: two residents of Kaliganj upazila in Satkhira were among those killed in the devastating fire.
The deceased were Alimuzzaman Saju, son of late Yunus Ali of Bareya village and Rebati Sarkar, wife of Bhavesh Sarkar of Tentulia village, both under Tarali Union of Kaliganj upazila.
News of their deaths reached the area around 10pm on Wednesday, sending shockwaves through the two families and the local community.
Kaliganj Upazila Nirbahi Officer Milon Saha told UNB over the phone that he had learned that two of those killed in the Kolkata fire were residents of Kaliganj.“Efforts are underway at the higher government level to bring the bodies back to the country as soon as possible,” he said.
Saju, who had shrimp enclosure business, travelled to India five to six days ago for treatment of back pain and was scheduled to return home on Wednesday, according to his brother.
Rebati travelled to India about three months ago for medical treatment and returned home after seeing a doctor, said her family.
She had gone to Kolkata again for a follow-up consultation when she died in the hotel fire.
The families have demanded that the bodies be repatriated to Bangladesh as soon as possible.
“We have already contacted our Deputy High Commission in Kolkata and the family members of those who were killed. Once the identification and other formalities are completed, we can bring these bodies back to Bangladesh as soon as possible,” State Minister Shama Obaed told reporters on Wednesday, adding that the Bangladesh mission in Kolkata is working on the matter.
Responding to a question, the State Minister said the government would consider bearing the repatriation expenses if the families of the victims are unable to afford them.
Officials of the Bangladesh Deputy High Commission in Kolkata are maintaining close contact with hospitals and local police to provide necessary assistance to the Bangladeshi nationals affected by the incident, said the ministry.
The mission has also opened a round-the-clock helpline to assist Bangladeshi nationals and their families.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dhaka and the Deputy High Commission in Kolkata are maintaining close coordination with the relevant Indian authorities and monitoring developments concerning the Bangladeshi victims.
A Bangladeshi journalist and three members of his family were among those killed in the fire.
The deceased were identified as Debashis Dutta, 40, Kushtia correspondent for Ajker Patrika and Channel Nine; his wife, Afsana Simmin, 25; their three-year-old daughter, Swarna Shish Dutta; and his father-in-law, Akram Ali, 64.
According to family sources, Dutta had travelled to Kolkata with his ailing wife for medical treatment. He is survived by another daughter, aged eight, as well as his parents.
Besides, 38-year-old Ahmed Babu, a cosmetics businessman from Savar, was among those killed in the blaze.
