Tamim rules out BPL this year, cites Tk 40 crore losses over last two editions
BCB president Tamim Iqbal has confirmed the Bangladesh Premier League will not be held this year, insisting he would rather delay the tournament than run it with the compliance and payment issues that plagued recent editions.
Speaking at a press conference in Mirpur on August 20, Tamim said the decision came down to the BPL's finances and integrity.
"For me, the biggest logic is whether this tournament is generating money for the BCB. No. Are we making losses? Yes. Is the tournament running properly? No," he said.
He pointed to widespread non-compliance among franchises as a central concern.
"Three or four of the six franchises have issues with breaking the rules. Even after all of this, I don't see any reason why I should rush into doing it or devote my attention to it," Tamim said.
The last two editions of the BPL were marred by fixing allegations against players and franchises, along with reports that several teams failed to pay players' salaries, with some dues only settled after BCB intervention.
Tamim revealed the scale of the financial damage. "In the last two years, the BCB has suffered losses of around Tk 40 crore," he said, adding that the board was meant to profit from franchise cricket, not lose money on it.
Despite the pause, Tamim maintained the tournament retained strong commercial appeal.
"I still believe the BPL is a very good product. There is a lot of interest in the BPL and people come to watch the matches. If it can be done properly, it is very likely that the interest can be increased further."
He added that he was prepared to take whatever time was needed to fix the format. "If I need to take 12, 18 or 24 months, however many months it takes, if I do it, I will do it properly. Otherwise, I will not do it."
Tamim, who also chairs the ICC's global franchise committee, said the situation carried added weight given his international role.
"If franchise cricket does not run properly in my country, then stopping it and rebuilding it will be a big message for my committee," he said, adding he was ready to face criticism for prioritising fairness over speed.
On player concerns, Tamim acknowledged the financial impact but said most had accepted the need for reform.
"If I were a player, I would also be disappointed. I do not disagree that they will suffer financial losses. But they also understand that this tournament should be something the BCB can feel proud of," he said.
Tamim also gave an update on Alex Marshall's corruption report, saying recommendations had been passed to lawyers for review, with findings to be shared once feedback was received.
On foreign ownership, he said discussions with interested overseas franchises were ongoing but no policy decision had been made.
The press conference doubled as the launch of a new tournament, the GD Trophy, announced by Game Development chairman Fahim Sinha, featuring Bangladesh's Under-17, Under-19 and Under-23 sides.
Sinha said the competition was designed to expose younger cricketers to tougher opposition and help selectors identify emerging talent.
"If we cannot give them this challenge at this age, there is no way for the cricket board or selectors to understand whether there is any special cricketer among them," Sinha said, adding that a similar tournament for women's cricket would follow from next year.
Sinha confirmed the GD Trophy schedule would be adjusted around a proposed white ball series against India, with matches to be held in Mirpur or, if required, at the Bashundhara ground.
