Real Madrid don't need Rodri, says Mourinho
Jose Mourinho has brushed aside any suggestion that missing out on Rodri will hurt Real Madrid this season, despite confirming the club made a serious push to sign the Spain captain before he opted for arch rivals Barcelona.
Real Madrid were widely seen as favourites to land Rodri during the transfer window and had already opened formal discussions with the midfielder. Those talks ultimately broke down, and the 30-year-old completed a move to Barcelona from Manchester City on Tuesday.
Speaking on the television programme El Chiringuito late on Tuesday, Mourinho revealed he had spoken with Rodri on two occasions as Madrid weighed up bringing in the reigning World Cup's standout performer, but sensed hesitation from the player throughout.
"The club contacted him, but he had some doubts," Mourinho said. "What I think happened is that his doubts have created doubts for me. He's an extraordinary player and was very correct with us."
He added a pointed remark about the club's standing, suggesting Real Madrid could not afford to pursue players who were not fully committed. "Real Madrid is of such a stature that it can't have players who think twice about being with the club," he said.
The comments came just hours after Mourinho himself was unveiled in an unusual closed-door ceremony at the Bernabeu, shielded from both media and supporters, shortly before Barcelona confirmed their capture of Rodri.
Now in his second spell at the helm after being appointed in June and taking charge during pre-season in July, Mourinho was quick to dismiss any notion that Rodri's absence would weaken his squad heading into the new campaign.
"I don't need Rodri. We have solutions, quality players," he said, rejecting the idea that Barcelona had somehow got the better of Madrid by securing the midfielder's signature. "Victories are won on the field; they are won with titles."
Real Madrid have already strengthened significantly this summer following back-to-back seasons without a major trophy, bringing in Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konate, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande among their new arrivals.
Mourinho indicated the club's business for the window was effectively done, even though the market technically remains open for further deals. "I'm not saying there won't be any more signings because the market is still open, but if you ask me directly if it's closed for Madrid, yes, it's closed," he said.
Real Madrid begin their La Liga campaign away at Espanyol on Saturday,

