Trump's envoys meet mediators, Israel strikes Gaza
Donald Trump’s envoys met with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday to advance the US president’s Gaza peace plan, even as Israel continued airstrikes in the enclave, a diplomatic source said.
Hamas officials attended some of the meetings between mediators and Trump’s envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and his Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, the source said.
A senior Israeli official said Kushner and Mladenov were scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday. Netanyahu said on August 9 that Trump’s latest roadmap for Gaza peace was “unacceptable”.
The official said Israel was concerned about Washington’s demand to end targeted assassinations of Hamas militants in Gaza as the group rebuilds its forces.
Trump’s peace plan calls for an immediate cessation of military operations in Gaza. It envisages Hamas disarming as Israeli troops withdraw from the enclave and Gaza is rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration.
Israel has resumed airstrikes in recent days after scaling back attacks in the enclave earlier this month.
The Israeli military said on Sunday that its aircraft struck two Islamic Jihad and Hamas militants in Khan Younis and Nuseirat. At least five Palestinians were wounded when a tent encampment was hit, according to medics in Gaza. One of those wounded in the Khan Younis strike later died at Nasser Hospital.
A separate Israeli airstrike targeting another militant hit an apartment in the Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, wounding several people, medics said.
Earlier, Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya met Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad in Cairo. Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem said Al-Hayya would brief mediators on what he described as Israeli ceasefire violations.
Five Arab countries, along with Turkey, Pakistan and Indonesia, condemned Israel’s rejection of Trump’s plan in a joint statement on Sunday, saying it threatened efforts to end the war.
Hamas also called on mediators and the Board of Peace to compel Israel to fulfil its obligations under the plan’s first phase, end what it called violations of the ceasefire agreement and approve the roadmap for the second phase.
An October ceasefire halted major fighting in the two-year Gaza war, which began with Hamas’ October 7, 2023, attack on Israel, but it failed to completely stop Israeli attacks.
Israeli fire has killed more than 1,250 Palestinians in Gaza, most of them civilians, since October 2025. It remains unclear how many were militants, as Hamas does not usually disclose information about fighters killed.
Four Israeli soldiers have been killed by militants in Gaza over the same period, according to Israeli figures.

