Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based Palestinian-American landlord of one of the homes besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week, arrives at his parent's home upon return from the US, in the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, south of Nablus, Monday, Aug 17, 2026.
Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based Palestinian-American landlord of one of the homes besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week, arrives at his parent's home upon return from the US, in the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, south of Nablus, Monday, Aug 17, 2026.AP

Palestinian American returns to West Bank home amid settler siege

Updated on

The Palestinian American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been besieged by Israeli settlers for more than a week travelled to his property on Monday to join family members defending it.

The standoff in the village of Qusra has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian homes and prevent residents from leaving. The United States has condemned the siege, while the Israeli military has deployed troops it says are there to maintain order.

The siege comes as violence in the West Bank has surged in recent months. Settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing government, have intensified attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, harassing residents and setting homes, mosques and fields on fire.

Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year, according to Palestinian health officials. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed during clashes in the West Bank village of Tell last month.

As Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, arrived in Israel, settlers were still roaming near Qusra, according to video footage taken by his brother. The footage showed settlers driving ATVs and speaking with soldiers.

Ridi had also watched the scenes from afar through his home security cameras.

“I've been watching this live for many days and now this is the second week. I can't sleep,” he told reporters at Israel’s main international airport. “I can’t let the settlers steal my house while I was watching."

He arrived in Qusra on Monday evening, first reuniting with his mother and sister before going to his house. Ridi's brother, Qusai Abu Rida, and his teenage son had stayed inside the home to protect the property.

As Ridi waited for Israel’s military to escort him to the house, he said he believed little had changed since early last week, when the siege began.

Israel has since declared the neighbourhood where Ridi’s home is located a closed military zone. But on Monday, footage taken by his brother still showed soldiers interacting amicably with settlers.

“I should be able to go to my house freely, anytime I want,” he said. “It is a frustration and a nightmare for the entire family.”

Daily Waadaa
dailywaadaa.com