International Crimes Tribunal, Bangladesh. Abdul Goni/Waadaa
Bangladesh

Crimes against humanity: Verdict against ex-ministers Quader, Arafat and five others any day

Staff Correspondent

The trial of seven former ruling party leaders, including ousted minister Obaidul Quader and ex-state minister Mohammad Ali Arafat, in a crimes against humanity case linked to the 2024 July Uprising has ended at International Crimes Tribunal-2. With 29 witnesses testifying for the state, the tribunal has reserved its verdict, as prosecutors demand the harshest penalties and seizure of all accused’s assets.

The trial of seven accused, including ousted Awami League General Secretary and then Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, in a crimes against humanity case over the 2024 July Uprising ended on Monday.

After hearing arguments from both sides, International Crimes Tribunal-2 kept the case for verdict, which can be delivered any day.

M Hasan Imam and Ishrat Jahan represented the state-appointed defence lawyers for the absconding accused, while Mizanul Islam and Gazi MH Tamim appeared for the prosecution.

Earlier, on August 12, the prosecution concluded its arguments seeking the maximum punishment for all seven accused, along with an order to confiscate their properties.

ICT Chief Prosecutor Aminul Islam said the offences committed by all the accused were serious.

The other accused in the case, besides Obaidul Quader, are banned Awami League Joint General Secretary AFM Bahauddin Nasim; former State Minister for Information Mohammad Ali Arafat; Jubo League President Sheikh Fazle Shams Parash and General Secretary Mainul Hossain Khan Nikhil; and banned political organisation Chhatra League President Saddam Hossain and General Secretary Sheikh Wali Asif Inan.

The accused have remained absconding since the beginning of the case.

The witness examination phase in the case ended on August 2. A total of 29 witnesses, including the investigation officer, testified for the state.

On January 22 this year, tribunal-2 framed charges against the seven accused and ordered the trial to begin.

On December 18 last year, the same tribunal took cognisance of the formal charges submitted by the prosecution.

The clothes we barely wear and the industry that wants us to keep buying

Govt not taking UN report on AQIS into account yet, says Home Minister

Why Myanmar’s promise to take back 300,000 Rohingya may lead nowhere

Sheikh Hasina’s status unknown, but she can be brought back through legal process: Chief Prosecutor

E-rickshaws must use solar power to get registration: State Minister